Swimming pools bring years of refreshing enjoyment to homeowners, travelers, and communities. Nothing is more relaxing than an afternoon lounging around the fresh, blue water. For children, summer would not be complete without trips to the city pool to beat Houston’s heat. For all the pleasure they bring us, pools also require regular maintenance and a sharp eye for possible issues, such as erosion. The last thing anyone wants to face is a cracked basin because the ground around it shifted away, allowing water pressures to cause problems. When this happens, remedies can become increasingly expensive.
Nip potential problems in the bud when you seek the help of Houston’s trusted erosion control contractor at JR Pool Plastering & Texas Ltd. We have assisted many homeowners, businesses, and schools to keep their pools in tip-top shape with a variety of services. Let our team help you protect your investment so everyone can continue enjoying summer’s rite of passage…swimming.
Symptoms of Soil Erosion
When the soil around your backyard oasis erodes, your pool suffers the consequences. If you have any of these issues creeping up, there may be a problem with erosion:
- Cracks in the basin. As the earth moves away, the pressure in your pool can cause a shift, resulting in cracks.
- Water out of level. Water seeks its own level. When things are out of balance, you may notice that your deep end and shallow end are switching places!
- Deck has settled. As the ground shifts, the decking will reveal new cracks and become unleveled, which can result in tripping hazards for users.
Common Solutions to Erosion Control
Settling happens throughout the lifespan of any structure. There are many ways to keep the soil where it needs to be. Here are a couple of solutions to consider:
- Use Landscaping: This may be one of the easiest options for keeping dirt in its place. The root systems of plants and trees stabilize the earth and soak up excess water that tends to whisk soil away. This option works well along slopes and shorelines. Mulch absorbs water which helps keep your plants hydrated instead of running off with precious topsoil.
- Retaining Walls: A retaining wall will keep dirt where you want it and funnel water away from your pool. Because they are installed a few inches below ground level, they can prevent surface runoff. Another advantage of a retaining wall is extra seating. What better way to provide a place to sit that is also functional?
Work with an Experienced Erosion Control Contractor
Protect your backyard haven and stop the erosion before it destroys your investment. The experts at JR Pool Plastering have helped homeowners and contractors for over 30 years keep their pools in fantastic shape with installation, remodeling, and restoration services. Trust our skilled craftsmen to keep the dirt in place, so you can enjoy your pool for years to come.
Call us at 713-729-5014 to speak with our team about controlling erosion on your property and around your pool. You can also request a quote online.
If you or your neighbors have slopes across your land, storm runoff can pose a threat to the health of your pool. Sediment and other debris can quickly overflow into your pristine water, which upsets the pH balance. If not adequately handled, moisture levels can increase causing additional problems to the decking and even the foundations of structures around your pool. The resulting cracking and shifting is not only inconvenient and unattractive, but it is also an avoidable expense.
Why put your backyard oasis at risk when there are a variety of erosion control options available? From swales and berms to French drains, a little movement of dirt can go a long way to protecting your investment. At JR Pool Plastering & Texas Gunite, Ltd., we understand the dangers of not diverting water suitably. We work with you to ensure the best results for the aesthetics around the outside of your home.
Encompass Beauty and Functionality with Terraces and Retaining Walls
While a swale may move rain away from your foundation and pool, why not take advantage of the beauty and functionality of a terrace or a retaining wall to control erosion? Consider these benefits:
- Make the most of your backyard: Do you love flowers? Maybe you would like to grow a few vegetables, but backyard space is at a premium. Terraces can give you the area you need to create a series of mini gardens.
- Shorter slopes allow water to soak in: Texas gets hot, and water is at a premium. Not only can you beautify your home, but also a series of terraces can slow precious rain down so that it can soak into your soil.
- Create privacy while conserving water: Adding a retaining wall provides additional practical options such as a privacy fence. Imagine keeping nosy onlookers from peeking into your pool party.
- Provide additional seating for guests: Terraces need to be supported, and a retaining wall can provide that support while offering seating. Imagine sitting among some beautiful landscaping while sipping a glass of wine with friends.
Practicality does not have to overrun beauty when you use terraces and retaining walls in your swimming pool area. Let it blend in or stand out. Your options are only limited by your imagination. Get creative with various plants and materials likes stone, brick, or concrete to enhance your home’s landscape.
Hire Experienced Erosion Control Contractors
Eroding soil is a serious matter, but it can be effectively controlled if you integrate the surrounding soil aesthetically. Protect and beautify your backyard oasis with help from the team at JR Pool Plastering. We have the experience to help you create a magnificent area and work within your budget. For over 30 years, we have worked with Houston home and business owners in installation and renovation, erosion control, and excavation. Let us assist you in protecting your aquatic haven.
Call us at 713-729-5014 and speak to our team about erosion control or request a quote online.
Drainage problems around the pool can be caused by a variety of situations. Sometimes it is a matter of planters, mulch beds, or improperly graded lawns holding standing water. When there is substantial rain, the water runs right into the pool. Standing water creates unsanitary conditions, and without proper drainage, you will fight an uphill battle to keep contaminants out of your water.
Keeping the water in your private oasis clean and easy to maintain takes hard work. Make it easier on yourself and prevent additional deterioration of your backyard pool, when you talk to the erosion control contractors at JR Pool Plastering & Texas Gunite, Ltd. Our professional team can help control the eroding soil and return your backyard into its pristine state.
Common Areas for Drainage Problems
You might be surprised at the number of places that can be affected by drainage problems. Here are some common areas to look at and work on:
- Overflowing Deck Planters: Plants around your deck add beauty to your watery oasis and enhance the look of your backyard. But as they grow, they push up soil. Add annual mulching, and you have dirt sitting higher than the water level.
- Shifting Decks: It is possible for your deck to shift over the years. You might see puddles appearing on the surface. Sometimes it is caused by hill creep, compaction of soil, or erosion underneath the structure.
- Poor Drainage Around the Space: The drainage system on your property may not be adequate for wicking away damaging waters. For example, French Drains will seep water to a lower spot, but if there are torrential rains, this type of drain does not work as well.
Correcting Pool Deck Drainage Problems
After assessing the situation, contact an erosion control contractor who can correct poor any drainage issues. Here are a few options to consider:
- Remove Plants: If plants are the culprit, you may need to change the landscaping around the deck area.
- Replace Old Gravel: If your structure is older, and you have a gravel trench around the outside edge, it may be time to replace the gravel.
- Regrade the Land: You could reshape the land by adding swales and removing dirt. It may be necessary to construct or reconstruct French Drains.
- Reinforce the Perimeter: If the source of the water problem lies outside your land, constructing a swale, retaining wall, or terrace could make a difference.
Hire an Experienced Houston Erosion Control Contractor
Keep your water sanitary and your deck in tip-top shape with the assistance of an expert. Since 1982, the professionals at JR Pool Plastering have served the Houston area with erosion control, installation, and other pool services. Trust our experienced crew to make your swimming pool easy to maintain and a joy to use again.